APAMEFA has as its principal objectives the following:
- To develop and strengthen Family Medicine as an academic discipline in the Americas.
- To create an academic space for the interchange of family physicians, residents, students, and health professionals who demonstrate an interest and aptitude for the discipline.
- To identify and develop leadership that can collaborate and create progress in family medicine as an academic discipline in their respective countries.
- To promote the diffusion of the knowledge base of family medicine.
- To interact with other international organizations to promote world health.